Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Finding Out We Are Preggo

Mike and I have been married for 7 years. We knew that we wanted to have a family but wanted to wait until we were financially stable and ready. As most people can attest you are never ready. We found ourselves constantly making excuses for why we were not ready for children. When we were first married we didn’t have much income and felt that it was too soon to have kids. After waiting for a few years Mike decided to go back to school. Once that started we figured we should wait until Mike finished school before having kids. 3 years later Mike graduates and decides that he wants to get his master’s degree. Another reason to push back starting a family. We decided that once Mike has a steady job we would begin trying.

Mike graduated in May 2012 and obtained a great job in June 2012. Once he got this great job of course I made sure he was aware that we would now start trying to have kids. Little did I know that when it came down to actually doing it I started to have second thoughts. Was I ready? Were we meant to raise and nurture kids? We have been together for so long, can we handle taking care of a little one? We don’t even have a dog. I started to make my own excuses. I finally decided that since I had a few months left of birth control I would finish them and then we would start trying. This gave me a few more months to have the idea sink in.

September 2012 was the first month I went off birth control. That month came and went with a little disappointment when it did not happen. Same with October but a little more disappointment. November was the lucky month. 3 months is the lucky number for us.

At the end of November I started thinking about when I was to have my period. For some reason I could not remember the exact date to expect it. I had a feeling though. Mike said that I should wait until a couple weeks after just to make sure. (Pregnancy tests are expensive) I still had a feeling and so I bought the tests. I had the test for a couple days too scared to take one. Finally on December 5th I decided to take the test. I waited until Mike got home and then waited some more. Honestly, I was terrified. Finally when we decided to go to bed I went into the bathroom. I came out with the test (still processing) and placed it on my night stand. After a few minutes I looked at it. I turned to him and said “I am”. He said smiling: “No, really?” I then showed him. He then said, “see, I told you it wouldn’t take long”. I have been on birth control for 10 years. We thought for sure it would take me a good year to get pregnant. I told Mike this and I believe it gave him some ease. Well it didn’t take near as long as we thought. On the 3rd month of trying we were preggo.

I didn’t do a big reveal to him but I still think it was special.

No comments: